Monday, May 19, 2014

River "X" Redemption 5/19/14

On the Water: 1:15pm - 5:15pm
Air Temperature: 65-71
Water Temperature: 65-70
Water Clarity: Clear/ 8ft
Skies: Mix of sun and clouds, with a quick rain shower
Wind: 10-15mph

My brother Josh, had taken the day off from work, so we made a plan to get out in the kayaks.  We wanted to go somewhere familiar that we knew would produce some decent fish.  We went to a pond, that is part of a mid sized river system.  Josh is a little more accustomed to this particular spot.  It never had much appeal to me.  The whole pond is about 6 ft deep, with occasional small 8 ft holes,  and gradually works up to 4 and then 2 feet of water on the edges, with a flat in the middle.  It's a hard spot to fish sometimes, because the fish could literally be anywhere, it's tough to narrow it down, like you can with more diverse lakes and ponds.

But we headed out, Josh was fishing some laydowns along one edge with a jig.  I made my way into the first nook that I could find that was out of the wind.  You could see the line between the stagnant water and the moving water.  I moved a little closer, and cast a 1/2 oz White Booyah spinner bait into the motionless water.  On the third cast, as soon as it hit the water, I had a fish on.  It ended up being about a pound.  A little further down, there were some lily pads that were starting to thicken up, and some timbers sticking out of the water.  I paddled in noiselessly and dropped my anchor.  The first thing I noticed was the water temperature, it had spiked from 66 to 70.  There just had to be fish here.  I chucked my spinner bait deep into the lily pads, and was fishing it just below the surface, ripping through the thick cover, and it got crushed.  This fish was about 2.5-3lbs.  A few more casts with the spinner bait yielded no more action.  I pulled out a Booyah Pad Crasher, and on the first cast, I see it get smoked.  I lost the fish about half way in.  I cast to the same spot, and I see a swirl ahead of my frog, and it takes it.  I got this one in, and it was right around 2lbs.





I had no more action here, and I realized I lost sight of Josh, so I went to find him.  He had caught a crappie on a spinner bait, and was back to throwing a jig at all the downed trees that line the banks.  He sets the hook on a good fish, but it spit the hook on him, just as it got to the surface.  A little while later he pulled out a 1 pounder on the jig.  We moved along this shoreline, with a couple of bumps on jigs, but no more fish to show for it.  Next up was a flat, with some timbers and lily pads behind it.  I threw my frog right in the middle of the timbers, and it got blown up, but never was able to get the fish.  We moved further back on the flat, and I noticed a disturbance in the water, under an overhanging bush.  I tossed my spinner bait almost on top of the ripples, and pulled out a 1lb largemouth.  A little further in, Josh mentioned that every time he comes to this spot, there is a submerged tree that's always good for a bass.  Once he finds it, he sets up shop, and after a few lobs of his jig, he hooks up with a nice fish, about 2lbs.

We started to head back towards the launch and pitched jigs along the way, but no action.  The sun had gone behind the clouds, and the water started to cool off a little bit.  We went back to the first spot, where I caught the three bass, but the once 70 degree water, had quickly dropped to 65, and there was no more activity.  Overall, we didn't get a lot of numbers, or big fish, but it certainly beats the last two days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass