Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Messerschmidt's 5/7 & 5/10

5/7/2014- On the water at 9:15.
Air Temperature: 56
Water Temperature: 56-58
Water Clarity/Visiblity- Clear/7ft
Skies: Sunny, little to no clouds
Wind: Light breeze with occasional gusts

Once I launched, I immediately began throwing a crankbait, it just seemed like that kind of day.  I worked my way up the western shore, and nothing.  Not even a bite.  I moved into a cove where there is a nice mixture of deep and shallow water, as well as some stumps, humps, points, and a few laydowns.  It looked good, so I anchored, and threw a crankbait for a while.  Then a spinnerbait, and got one bump, but nothing ever came of that.  Then I decided to slow it down a bit, and throw a jig.  Still nothing.  After spending way more time than I should have in this one spot, I finally decided to move.  The next spot I went to was much of the same, including the result.  I then moved to a point on the main lake, with some lily pads on it.  I only had about 15 minutes left to fish, so I figured I'd throw a crankbait and just cover as much water as possible. After getting hung up a few times in the lily pads, I got a hit.  So I was intentionally getting hung up, then ripping it free, and it finally paid off.  Good timing too.

  Sorry about the awful glare.  This one weighed just under 2lbs.

5/10/14- On the water at 6:10
Air Temperature: 62
Water Temperature: 58-60
Water Clarity/Visiblity: Clear/6ft
Skies: Overcast/ light rain
Wind: None

As soon as I got on the water, it started raining, figures I left my rain gear in the car.  Oh well, just a little water.  So I headed right for the weed flat on the point where I caught the last fish here, and wouldn't you know it, I got another one. Much of the same though, as this fish wasn't very large either.

 
I paddled around for a while trying to find my next target.  I found an area that has a point on one side, a weed flat on the other, and deep water in between. Something had to be holding there.  I decided to throw a small Rapala Husky Jerk in the Glass Minnow color.  This quickly produced a small perch and a crappie.  Not exactly what I was looking for, but hey, fish are fish on a tough day, right?  There was a nice laydown on the other side of the point, and I was able to pull another small bass out of that.  Again, I marked a lot of bigger fish outside of spawning bays, most of them were suspended right below the surface over deeper water, and didn't seem to be interested in what I was throwing.  Pre spawn bass will do this primarily to seek warmer water , and are notoriously finicky when in this state.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass