Friday, May 16, 2014

Bashan 5/16/2014 Holy Wind!

On the water: 5:45am - 11:30pm
Air Temperature: 59
Water Temperature: 61-63
Water Clarity/Visibility: Clear/10+Ft
Skies: Overcast/ Light rain at times
Wind: 10-15Mph breeze, gusts to 21Mph

I started the same as last trip, pitching a jig at the docks right at the launch.  As I was reeling in to make another cast, my jig got lit up by a tiny largemouth.  Hey, it's a start, right?  I made my way towards a rocky area, and began throwing a Rapala DT-6 Silver Crankbait.  I ended up getting two small largemouth here, the biggest being a little bigger than a pound.  The wind was really starting to pick up, so I headed into one of the coves to get out of it.  I was working the docks on my way in, and caught one more small largemouth, this time on a 4" Keitech Swing Impact on a 1/8oz VMC jighead.  I moved a little deeper into the cove and caught one more largemouth and a smallmouth.


I moved further back into the cove, and found a tree in the water, and started flipping a Booyah! 1/2 oz jig to it.  My jig got whacked, and I set the hook.  The fish immediately jumped up to the surface, and spit the hook.  This was an omen of things to come, as the day was all downhill from here.  It looked like the wind had subsided out on the main lake, as the once whitecaps, were now just small swells.  I paddled to another cove and just as I was getting there, the wind picked up.  I was able to fish this area a little bit, but the wind made it very difficult.  I figured I would move to the north end of the lake, with the wind at my back, it would be an easy paddle there.  I made it all the way down to the north end, and as soon as I got there, I heard a rumble of thunder.  Being as far away as I was, I wanted to head back immediately.  Of course the wind was raging, and the small swells, were now back to whitecaps.  Paddling as hard as I could against 15Mph winds, with occasional gusts to 20, white caps crashing over the front of my kayak,  I was promptly drenched from head to toe.  But I made it back in once piece and got a good workout on top of it.  All in all, I ended up with 6 bass, and a sickly looking bluegill.  Not a bad day, but not great either


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass