Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bashan 5/13/2014

On the water: 6:15
Air Temperature: 54
Water Temperature: 61-63
Water Clarity/Visiblity: Clear/ 10ft
Skies: Mixed Clouds and Sun
Wind: Steady breeze with strong gusts

I've fished Bashan one other time a few years ago, and didn't have much luck.  But there has always been something aesthetically pleasing about it.  As soon as I launched, I started pitching a Booyah! 1/2oz black and blue jig with a black and blue Yum crawfish trailer right at the docks on either side.  Then I picked up the jerkbait rod, and after a couple twitches, I let it sit, and it got hammered by a small bass.  I was using a Yellow Perch colored Rapala Husky Jerk.

Once I got onto the main lake, the wind really picked up, so I had to find somewhere to get out of it.  I found a nice point where I wasn't getting pushed around too much, so I started throwing a bluegill colored Rapala DT-6 crankbait at it. It didn't take long before I was hooked up.  I ended up catching most of my fish off this point.  Including this perch.

After a while, I stopped getting hit, so I moved deeper into the cove and caught another small bass and another, much smaller perch.
I moved back out to the point that had been so productive and took a few more casts.  As soon as I started to retrieve my crankbait, it got crushed.  The fish just started digging, once I turned it around it immediately came up to the surface and jumped three times before I came up empty.  Never got a good look at it, but I would bet money that it was a smallie.  This happened one other time on a different point.  On my way back towards the launch I marked a nice rock pile with my graph, so I figured I'd throw a few casts at it.  I came up with a nice crappie and a largemouth that I tongue hooked.  We've got a bleeder!
I hit one more spot on the way back, and caught another small bass.  Every bass was about the same size here, nothing great but fish is better than no fish.  I can't complain though, as I totaled 7 Largemouth, 3 Perch, and 1 Crappie.  Bashan, I will be seeing you again.
 Does anyone know what kind of eggs these are on the grass?  Every time I would come up with grass I would find them.




2 comments:

  1. Very nice Jay, Good write up and pics. That lake i wanna like but i just cant haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe, it can be a tough lake depending which way the wind is blowing. Lots of dinks, but it's good for getting the confidence level up a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass