Sunday, May 25, 2014

River "X" and Pond "X" plus a surprise bonus species! 5/25/14

On the Water: 6:15am - 12:30pm
Air Temperature: 56-72
Water Temperature: 59-70
Water Clarity: Muddy/ 2-4ft
Skies: Mix of Sun and Clouds
Wind: 0-5mph

When I got my kayak on the water this morning, the first thing that stood out to me, was how cold and muddy the water was.  This was NOT what I had anticipated for today.  I fished all over, dodging a few groups of pleasure kayakers, a couple of aluminum boats, a barking dog, and a swan or two.  I was throwing jigs, spinner baits, crank baits, swim baits, frogs, but no results.  Not even a sniff.  After being seemingly followed by one of the aforementioned aluminum boats, I was finally able to get away from him and moved back behind an island where there was some nice trees that looked like they should hold fish.  After pitching a jig into a few trees, I FINALLY hooked up with a fish. Not a big fish, but after almost three hours with out so much as a follow, I will take what I can get.



I moved further back behind the island where it opens up to a large flat, with some overhanging trees along the shoreline.  Once I got to this area, I noticed that the water temperature had spiked up to 68.  I started concentrating on shade lines with the Z-man Finesse Wormz on a drop shot, and lay downs in the shade with a jig.  This scored me 3 more fish, and lost two jumpers.  One of which was close to 3 pounds.




Found a coy, he had a buddy with him, but I spooked him trying to get this picture.

 

I moved back around the other side of the island to Josh's Tree, which he guarantees is always good for a bass.  I took a few casts, and as I was reeling in my jig, it gets crushed by a small largemouth.  I tried swimming a jig for a little bit, hoping a pattern would start to develop, but it appears this was just an isolated incident.

Overzealous bass from Josh's Tree

I was never really able to develop a pattern today.  I though I was onto something with the shade lines, but when the sun went behind the clouds, that bite died.  5 bass and 1 bluegill total for the day here.

Pond X
On the Water: 5:30pm - 9pm
Air Temperature: 74-67
Water Temperature: 67-71
Water Clarity: Clear/6ft
Skies: Clear


Josh and I decided to head out for a nightcap, so we went to the pond where I lost 2 5lb + fish last Sunday, and caught my personal best LMB, back in April.  Although this pond holds some biggun's, it does not hold numbers of bass.  Neither one of us has caught more than 2 bass in a single day there. But it does however hold a serious amount of crappie, and that's what Josh was after.  I wanted to find my 2 hogs that I missed out on last week, but didn't have any luck.

I did manage a bass on a Strike King KVD square bill crankbait.

By the time I caught this fish, Josh had already lost count of the crappie he caught.  Here is the most notable fish of the day for him, estimated at 1.5 lbs on a Z-Man 1/2oz Chatterbait!
(Photo by Josh Rayner)

He also caught crappie on a Zoom Super Fluke!

We caught a number of pickerel as well, on various baits.  Once it started to get dark, we both tied on frogs.  While Josh was tying his on, he said,  "I'm going to get broken off by a pickerel."  Sure enough, his first cast, a pickerel explodes on his frog, and before he could even set the hook, the frog was gone.  We fished the frog around the heavy lily pads for a while, and only managed one blow up, but didn't land any fish.

Josh totaled too many crappie to count, several pickerel, and 1 perch.
I ended up with 1 bass, 5 pickerel and 2 crappie.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass