Monday, May 19, 2014

Back to Back Frustrating Days 5/17,18

On the Water: 6:10 - 11:30
Air Temperature: 59
Water Temperature: 64-67
Water Clarity: Clear/ 10+ft
Skies: Mix of sun and clouds early, then bluebird skies in the late morning
Wind: 10mph, gusts to 15mph from the NW

On Saturday morning, I wasn't sure where I wanted to go, but I settled on Pattaconk Lake.  Got there about 6, and on the second cast, I caught a small largemouth on a crankbait.  Not a bad start.  But that was about the peak of the day as I spent 5 more hours on the lake, and was only able to manage a bluegill on a drop shot.  Oh well, some days go like that. Maybe tomorrow will be better.


5/18
On the water: 8:15-10:30
Air Temperature: 51
Water Temperature: 65-67
Water Clarity: Stained/6ft
Skies: Sunny
Wind: 7-10mph/ gusts to 15mph from NW

On Sunday, I set my alarm for 4:00 trying to get an early start.  Well, by the time I got up, it was 7:30. Better late than never I guess. I was in the mood to catch a big fish, and I didn't care about numbers.  I went back to the pond that I caught my personal best out of, back in April.  I got there a little after 8, and worked the east shoreline with a black and blue Booyah 1/2oz boo jig, with a watermelon red flake Yum crawbug trailer. Because of the cold front the night before, and the bluebird skies, I figured fish would be holding tight to cover. So I pitched the jig next to a laydown, and I felt that classic *thump thump* on the fall.  I set the hook and nothing.  Literally nothing.  The 17 lb fluorocarbon leader snapped on the hookset.  Two seconds later I see a swirl in the water, and then a fishes head come out and shakes.  There's my jig, right in her upper lip. This fish was between 4 and 5lbs, but I shook it off and kept fishing.  Moving further down the shoreline, I get to another good looking tree.  Again, I pitch my jig in there, I get another hit, I set the hook and fish on.  I get the fish right to the side of the boat, then she turned and ran on me a bit, suddenly a big gust of wind started pushing me towards the shoreline.  I held the rod in my left hand, and paddled backwards with my right, trying to avoid getting my rods caught in the trees.  Just as I get the fish to the side of the boat, she head shakes, and my jig comes flying out of her mouth.  This fish was easily 5, possibly 6.  Talk about frustrating.  After a few more minutes, I had to leave.

I headed over to an old spot, where my father had taught my brother and I to fish.  Now fishing from shore, I pitched my jig out, and got a hit, but missed the hook set.  I cast out again, get another hit, set the hook... my fluorocarbon leader snapped again.  Boy this just isn't my day.  So I grabbed my lighter spinning setup with a weightless 4" Keitech Swing Impact rigged up and quickly caught two dinks.  After a few more minutes, I decided to head to another old spot, that I grew up fishing, hoping to find some bass on beds.  As soon as I got there, that's just what I found.  I cast my Keitech just past a bed with a decent fish on it.  Once I got to the bed, I let it fall, and the fish just inhaled it.  I set the hook, and yet again, my line snapped.  This time 8lb fluorocarbon.  At this point, I had it, and just went home.  Sunday night, my brother Josh and I went to a few shore spots on the CT river trying to get some striper action.  We saw some baitfish and some decent swirls and bigger fish breaking the surface, but neither of us had any action.  Tomorrow is another day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass