Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pattaconk Lake 5/12/2014

On the water: 6:15
Air Temperature: 48
Water Temperature: 61-64
Water Clarity/ Visiblity: Clear/ 6ft
Skies: Sunny with few clouds
Wind: Little to none

As soon as I got in the water, the first thing I noticed was the water temp.  Being so close to the full moon, I figured there had to be fish on beds somewhere.  I moved right up to a large flat with a defined weed line, and threw a pearl white Zoom Swimmin' Super Fluke right into the shallowest water I could find.  After two or three casts, I had a hit, I set the hook, but the fish charged me and I couldn't catch up, and I lost it.  Made another cast to the same spot, and had another hit.  It did the same thing as the last one, it charged at me, but this time I was able to catch up.  Not being confident in my initial hook set, I set it again just to be safe.  Wait... WHAT?!  Snapped me off on the SECOND hook set, real "SAFE".  I could just see the glow of the pearl white fluke swimming back and forth in the shallows.  I just had to find out what it was, if it were a pickerel I wouldn't have really cared, and would have made some sense as to why it broke me off.  Nope, it was a bass.  Not a big bass, but a bass.

I moved further up to find some warmer water, and I found it. 64 degrees!  I threw the fluke into the shallows and sure enough, I was able to hook up with a few fish.  I ended up catching 5 in total,  the biggest being just under 3lbs.  Although I did miss about 20 fish, at least I had some numbers to show today.





1 comment:

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass