Friday, May 16, 2014

CT River - 5/14/2014

On the Water: 6:30pm - 9:00pm
Air Temperature: 58
Water Temperature: 62-64
Water Clarity: Clear
Skies: Overcast
Wind: Little to none

Josh and I decided to go out to the CT River and try for some striper action.  The conditions seemed perfect with the full moon.  While Josh was bringing his gear down to the launch, I took a few casts from shore.  I was retrieving my Bomber walk the dog lure, and I saw a wake stalking right behind it.  I braced myself, and BOOM!  When I got the fish to shore, I was a little surprised when it turned out to be a pickerel.


Once we launched, we paddled about 30 feet before we noticed a school of herring jumping out of the water.  We started casting at the school, and I was promptly followed up.  After casting in the same spot, it didn't take long for the fish to hit again.  Another pickerel, this one was about the same size as the first one.  We paddled a little further out to a dead tree in the water.  I cast right at it, and got two blow ups within a matter of seconds.  I made one more cast and two more blowups, and just as I was about to pull the lure out of the water, the fish explodes on my lure.  I only had 3 feet of line out, so the fish couldn't go anywhere, it sat there slapping it's tail at the side of my kayak, drenching my entire left side, before it finally wore itself out.
I grabbed the lure and began to pull the fish out of the water, when it shook and unhooked itself.  Unfortunately, no picture of the fish, it was just shy of keeper size.  Josh then hooked up with two small schoolies, and I caught one more before we decided to call it a night.  We were hoping for a little bit better action, but at least we got something.  The topwater bite pretty much died as soon as the sun went down.








1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass