Friday, July 4, 2014

Dual Report 6/29 and 6/30/14

Local Alewife Lake 6/29
On the Water: 5:30 am - 12:00 pm
Air Temperature: 57 - 79
Water Temperature: 76-80
Water Clarity: Clear
Skies: Foggy early, partly cloudy
Wind: 0-6 Mph

Josh and I went back to the alewife lake we tried the other day, hoping for some more large bass schooled up on the bait.  It was exceedingly foggy when we arrived and only got worse for the first two hours before it finally burned off.  There is a large hump that we wanted to fish, it extends half way across the lake, and comes up to 18 ft and on 3 sides of it goes down almost to 40 ft.  I was trolling a swimbait on my way out to it, and hooked up with a giant, but he came off before I could get him in.

We fished around the structure throwing worms, jigs, dropshots and swimbaits and missed a few fish but couldn't hook up.  After the fog burned off, we started seeing some bass exploding on the surface, so we began chasing the movement and I quickly landed a 3 pounder and 2ish pound fish on a donkey rig (double fluke rig).  It was crazy fishing a fluke over 30 feet of water and still catching fish.  Aside from 50 missed fish on a drop shot, this was the peak of my action for the day.  Josh continued to find schools of fish, catching them on the fluke including a 4.9 pounder.  It's tough chasing bait in a kayak, once you get to where you saw them half way across the lake, they always seem to end up where you just were.













6/30/14
On the water: 5:30 pm - 8:45 pm
Air Temperature: 81 - 74
Water Temperature: 81-79
Water Clarity: Clear
Skies: Partly Cloudy
Wind: 3-12 Mph

Josh and I went out again Monday night to a lake I've grown quite accustomed to.  We moved right out to a small isolated circle of lily pads that has deeper water on all sides of it.  First cast Josh gets hit on a spinner bait, then second cast he hooks up with a small bass.  My second cast I hook into a 2.75lb bass on a Cobra Bait Deadbolt.  Then maybe 10 casts later, I catch a 2.5lb bass also on the deadbolt.  We fished mainly weed edges and lily pads, throwing anything from swimbaits, jigs, and texas rigged worms, to poppers, wacky rigged deadbolts, super flukes and swim jigs.

We totaled 19 fish between the two of us, Josh got most of his on a super fluke, and a couple on the popper.  Me on the other hand, I got 7 on a deadbolt, and one on a swim jig.  My best 5 was probably 8.5-9, Josh's was probably closer to 6.  Lots of dinks for both of us with a few quality fish mixed in.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass