Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Alewife Alley: Attempt 3 - 7/13/14

On the Water: 6:00 am - 12:30 pm
Air Tenperature: 64-76
Water Remperature: 78-81
Water Clarity: Clear
Skies: Mix of Sun and Clouds
Wind: 7-19 mph SSW sustained; gusts to 26
Barometric Pressure 30.09

My initial plan was to try some new water. I did my research, marked some areas on a map, and tied on everything I felt would be effective in this new lake. Well, when I pulled up to the launch there were about 10 bass boats in the parking lot waiting to launch, and several more on the way. Seeing as how it was new territory for me, I decided to make my way to some more familiar water. Racing bass boats in a kayak is not my idea of fun, especially when I'm trying to figure out new water. 

When I arrived at the next location, I was the only person there, just the way I like it. I paddled out to some offshore structure and started fishing. I noticed some fish breaking the surface, so I tossed a super fluke into the disturbance. No sooner did it hit the water, I had a bite. I set the hook, and my line came flying back at me bearing no weight. My leader knot had pulled apart. 

I was in too deep of water to anchor, so I retied my leader, and the wind pushed me down the lake maybe 30 feet, when I looked back up, someone else was right on my spot, and catching fish.  Talk about poor fishing etiquette. 

Anyways, I moved to a different piece of structure and missed a few fish on a fluke, and couldn't hook up. I moved closer to shore and started working some ledges with a spinner bait, crankbait, jigs, worms, and was able to get a surprise brown trout on the spinner bait. 

The wind really started to pick up, and was not showing any signs of slowing down. My theory was that the wind would push the plankton; the alewife would follow the plankton; and the bass would follow the alewife. So I made a move to the downwind side of the lake.

I missed one more fish on a fluke here but didn't see the amount of activity that I had anticipated. 

I noticed that the aforementioned spot stealer had vacated my first area, so I went back and promptly landed a 2 pound bass on a fluke and missed a few more. 

Struggling to find any consistency, I started throwing a Keitech swimbait, and got one more fish, in the 3 lb range. 

Josh had shown up about 10:30, and landed 2 fish by the time I left.  After I left, the bite must have picked up, he ended up with 4 more, including a 5.3 pound slob. 

This lake holds large numbers of monster fish. Unfortunately, they are tough to find. If you can find a dense population of alewives, you have a good chance of catching some bass. Otherwise, you may have a tough day. On calm days you can see fish breaking the surface all around the lake. But on a windy day like we had, we saw only a couple fish break. Also, chasing bait in a kayak is quite a difficult task.  I would much rather fish some sort of defined cover or structure as opposed to fishing in 30 ft of water over a flat bottom.  It's hard to eliminate any water when the fish are following bait. You can only try and make sense of it, and hope for the best. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass