Sunday, June 15, 2014

Windy but Productive Day 6/15/2014

On the Water: 5:45am - 12:15pm
Air Temperature: 55 - 72
Water Temperature: 68-71
Water Clarity: Clear/Stained
Skies: Sunny/ Partly Cloudy
Wind: 7-22 Mph, Gusts to 28 Mph
Barometric Pressure: 30.02 - 30.05

I woke up a little later than I had planned today, I was hoping to get on the water at sunrise, and try to get a good topwater bite early.  Well, that didn't happen, and there was no topwater bite to be found today.  I started fishing some laydowns with a jig, a square bill crank bait, and a wacky rigged pumpkinseed Cobra Bait Deadbolt.  I landed my first fish after about 15 minutes on the deadbolt, probably about a pound.  I continued on, and as soon as I turned the corner from where I was, I realized just how windy it was.  I was tired, and I didn't feel like battling wind all day, I was so close to leaving, you have no idea.  But, I stuck with it, and landed my second fish on a spinner bait.  Two guys in a small aluminum boat were fishing behind me, seemingly trying to "push" me out of the way.  But, I was on my spot and I wasn't moving, they can go around or wait.  I'm glad I stood my ground, because I pulled 3 fish off this laydown, on 3 consecutive casts, while they sat and watched.




I kept moving, and caught a good pickerel.


I started throwing the wacky rigged deadbolt and a Cobra Bait 4" paddle tail on a drop shot near laydowns adjacent to deep water, and deep banks with a defined shade line, and began rapidly catching fish.  Most fish were in 6-8ft of water, but nothing was particularly big.  The majority were about a pound, a couple being a pound and a half.  I worked my way back to the launch fishing like this, losing my anchor in the process.




As I was leaving, I wanted to take a cast from shore into the large stream that flows into this pond.  In the summer months, the larger fish seem to stack up in there in search of colder water.  I spotted two bass swimming with the current, so I cast the drop shot ahead of them, and landed one of them.  Probably a little over 2lbs.



More expert level cropping!

I wound up with 14 bass and 1 pickerel.  8 bass and 1 pickerel on the deadbolt, 5 bass on the dropshot, and 1 bass on a Booyah spinner bait.
So, I caught a good number of fish, but the size of them was unimpressive.  I see some Selective Harvest in my future.  FISH FRY!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass