Saturday, June 7, 2014

Awful Morning on Cedar Lake 6/7/14

On the Water: 5:45- 9:45
Air Temperature: 59-71
Water Temperature: 67-70
Water Clarity: Clear
Skies: Clear
Wind: Steady 5-10mph breeze NNW

I'm not sure why I decided on Cedar Lake today, I've caught 2 fish there in my life.  Granted, this is only my third time on the water here.  The first time, I was maybe 10, and the last time was earlier this year with Josh.  But it bothers me, that I can't figure it out.  I've spent hours staring at a bathymetric map of the lake, and nothing stands out to me.  It's just a bowl, all the way around.  There are no points, no humps, and no flats.  

I figured I'd start working shallow, to see if there were any stragglers on beds. The only beds I saw were empty, so I decided to work my way out from there.  I threw spooks, frogs, and buzzbaits around the lily pads and over top the dense milfoil.  This produced nothing.  I tried working a small squarebill in the same area, getting it hung up and ripping it free, hoping for a reaction strike.  Nothing.  I tried spinner baits, swimming jigs, chatterbaits, swimbaits, and flukes,  but couldn't get anything in the grass.  I started working the outside edge of the weedline with a texas rigged worm, jigs, slow rolled swimbaits, drop shot, and a deep diving crankbait but still nothing.  I tried pitching jigs, and tubes to lay downs and docks, still nothing.  I tried flipping a sweet beaver into the lily pads and milfoil, and take a guess... nothing.

On the north end of the lake, there is a stream that dumps into the lake, the water was about 5 degrees cooler here, so I tried that hoping there would be some spawners in there, but couldn't get any here either.  Well, I couldn't get skunked, so I tossed out a rooster tail, and caught a bluegill.  That was the highlight of this pitiful day.

I really don't know what else I could have done today.  There were several other boats and kayaks out there and I didn't see them get anything either.  I talked to one guy who said he "Caught a couple on night crawlers."  Maybe it was the conditions, maybe it's my lack of confidence in this toilet bowl, I don't know.  Hopefully tomorrows trip on the river yields better results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass