Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Hawgust Returns 8/1/16

On the Water 5:45 PM - 9:00 PM
Air Temperature: 73-70
Average Water Temperature: 81.5
Water Clarity: Clear
Skies: Overcast
Wind: 3-6 Mph SE
Barometric Pressure: 30.06 - 30.11

I had a small window of time after dinner, so Josh and I set out to a small lake that has produced for us in the past, you can see an older report here.  Once we got out, we started out fishing the edges of lily pads where it drops off pretty quickly.  On my third cast, I was rewarded with a 2 pounder on a wacky rig.  My main mission, however, was to pull a fish out of the "Labyrinth Laydown" that is always good for a 3 pounder, so I made my way down to the other side of the lake, picking up a quick dink on the way.  Because this laydown is so complex, I usually fish it with a large texas rigged worm, and get picked up on my first pitch into the cover.  However after 5 or 6 casts, I couldn't get a bump.  I grabbed my jig, and tossed in a couple more times, slowly dragging it over the seemingly endless branches, and just as it started to fall back down, I hooked up with a decent fish, weighing in at 3lbs 4oz.



I couldn't help but get some down scan shots of the notorious tree.  Notice the difference between the down scan (left) and the sonar.


After fishing the rocky bank for a little while longer, my phone rings, it was Josh wanting to know if I had a scale.  I know what that means, so I paddled as fast as I could towards him.  When we met up, I couldn't believe the giant that he was holding.



This girl ended up weighing a whopping 7lbs 6oz, good for his new personal best.  He was winding a spinnerbait through some broken up grass.

We didn't have much action after this, a couple dinks on a spinner bait, and I lost a good fish on a jig.  It was nice getting out with Josh, and even better being there for his new PB.  Congrats dude, that was a toad!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @JR_CT_Bass